Monday, June 9, 2008

The (shoulda been) 2007 Oscar winner for Best Actor - Gordon Pinsent

Gordon Pinsent, a little known Canadian actor, damn well should have won the Oscar last year for his leading role in Away From Her. Julie Christie got most of the buzz and a Best Actress nomination for what clearly was a supporting role. But Pinsent was the heart and soul of Sarah Polley's brutally effective Alzheimer's drama, easily the best live-action film I saw all last year. In terms of subtle power, Pinsent drank Daniel Day-Lewis's milkshake, a statement that Day-Lewis may agree with (at least Pinsent won the 'Genie' for Best Actor).

"Daniel Day-Lewis - the eccentric British actor whose manic milkshake-slurping performance won him this year's best actor Oscar - sent him a message saying he was "totally in awe" of Pinsent's performance."

Anyway, here is a fascinating conversation with a terrific actor whose work absolutely devastated me last year. So much was my admiration for the film that I bought the DVD despite the fact that I don't think I could bring myself to watch the movie again. You owe it to yourself to see it once.

Scott Mendelson

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels