Monday, April 13, 2009

Who knew that Zac Efron was funny?


The writers let him down, but Zac Efron more than held his own on Saturday Night Live over the weekend. The writers sabotaged his genuinely funny opening monologue with unnecessary insertions of cast members playing tween girls , and many of the skits were not particularly clever, but Efron did his part. He didn't play himself in a single skit and he was either the lead or a major supporting player nearly every sketch. Ironically the best skit of the night was the obligatory High School Musical bit. I usually roll my eyes when guest hosts are forced to endure a lead-footed spoof of their most famous franchise, but his tragic-comic speech to the next graduating class of his former high school was the highlight of the evening.

His solid hosting gig, coupled with surprisingly positive reviews, has compelled me to try to actually see 17 Again when it opens this weekend (my wife can ogle Efron, I can ogle Michelle Trachtenberg, so everybody wins). This kid may just be the real thing.

Scott Mendelson

2 comments:

Imagine1122 said...

I thought so. I was pleasantly surprised & thought that SNL might be his break out as long as he doesn't follow the Lindsay Lohan path.

Sarah said...

I thought so. I was pleasantly surprised & thought that SNL might be his break out as long as he doesn't follow the Lindsay Lohan path.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels