Saturday, July 11, 2009

Does David S. Goyer read Mendelson's Memos? The ongoing saga of Gary Oldman's cinematic mortality.

Longtime readers will remember a bit I did last year focusing on the inexplicably high onscreen mortality rate of Gary Oldman. To put it simply, the guy dies in nearly every movie he does, even when he's not playing the villain or a famous historical figure. Well, I finally watched The Unborn the other night, and I'm starting to think that writer/director David S. Goyer reads my site and has a snarky sense of humor...

END-MOVIE SPOILERS for The Unborn:
.
.
.
.
At the end of the film, the lead character Casey Beldon (Odette Yustman) is brought to an abandoned mental institution for an exorcism spearheaded by Gary Oldman (as Rabbi Sendak) and Idris Elba (as Father Arthur Wyndom), and with the aid of Casey's boyfriend and several members of the support group that Sendak oversees. By the end of the exorcism, several members of the support group are apparently dead, as are the priest and Casey's boyfriend. But guess who survives? Yep, not only is Gary "I'll only sign for the third film because I die in the fifth" Oldman not deceased, he's one of the only survivors. This can't be a coincidence? Surely someone read my column while the film was in post production and decided to screw with me right? Or has the world simply gone mad?

Scott Mendelson

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels