Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Jeffrey Goldberg of The Atlantic interviews Quentin Tarantino - Looking at Inglorious Basterds from a Jewish Perspective

I don't usually just post a link to any random film article, but this was sent to me and it's worth reading. I'm curious if Tarantino's Inglorious Basterds will be half as involving as the similar themed, but likely thematically richer Black Book. For all the hub-bub about 'Jews getting revenge', Paul Verhoeven's 2006 masterpiece actually goes even farther, with sympathetic Nazis and traitorous Jews. I was more than a little burned by the 'all sizzle, no steak' of Death Proof, but articles like this actually make me curious to see what Tarantino is up to. While I'm sure the 150-minute running time will have countless scenes of people endlessly droning, I'm hope the more complex ideas will override the same flaw that killed the comparitively pointless Death Proof.

Scott Mendelson

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Labels